Monday 17 March 2008

Google forgets everyone's News settings

Google news is great. You can view a bunch of categories of news, add and remove these categories for various regions (e.g. take out US entertainment, add Global politics, that kinda thing), as well as control how many stories show for each section. Plus, you can show stories relevant to a specific keyword (say, "SEO", or "free chocolate"). There's even this great thing where you can drag and drop different news sections to create a custom layout.

Yeah.. got a big downside though. Every once in a while, Google deletes all your settings. Last weekend was just one such occasion!


From: David Allen
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:41:27 -0700 (PDT)
Local: Tues, Mar 11 2008 4:41 pm
Subject: My customized News page is gone
I had an elaborately edited personal Google News page, including a key
custom section. It is all gone! I get just the plain vanilla 'stock'
News page. Help!



He's not the only one:

Hi,

I logged in to my Google news today, and all my personalisations have
disappeared! I had a heavily customised layout, and now I just have a
default one with "Recommended for you" added. This is terrible - I put
months of tuning into my layout, which I haven't touched since mid
2007. Is it recoverable?



Way to go Google! I'm sure you won't do anything like that with my 6GB of GMail. Get backing up, sheeple..


No comments:

 
Marketing & SEO Blogs - Blog Top Sites sitemap